Day 26 – That You Love One Another
My children, I will be with you only a little longer.You will look for Me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now:Where I am going, you cannot come. A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another (John 13:33-35).
Jesus was going to leave the earth to return to Heaven, and He had some last words—a commandment! He told His disciples that the world would recognize His life in us by our love. Only God can give commandments to humanity. This is His instruction—that we love one another. Awesome.
- What does this commandment tell you about the person of Jesus?
- How does this commandment compare to the original Ten Commandments found in Exodus 20?
- How does this change your perspective on love?
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God (Micah 6:8).
In a complicated world with so many ideas about spirituality, here is a simple statement about what God expects of us. The Lord reminds us that He has demonstrated what is good. Now He is asking us to live our lives with fairness, compassion, and humility. He is not a God who is harsh or vindictive, but a God who loves us. Joy!
- What can God do with a person who offers his/her all to Him?
- Has the Lord set the bar too high for us to reach?
- Do you think God understands us?