Day 9 – Thirsting for God
Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life” (John 4:13-14).
Note how the Bible uses such simple illustrations to make such profound statements about our lives and our relationships with God. Everyone knows what it means to be thirsty. Imagine not only having your thirst quenched, but receiving a fountain of water that leads to everlasting life!
- What type of water is Jesus talking about?
- How can drinking quench our thirst forever?
- What is meant by everlasting life?
The day of the Lord is near for all nations. As you have done, it will be done to you; your deeds will return upon your own head. Just as you drank on My holy hill, so all the nations will drink continually; they will drink and drink and be as if they had never been (Obadiah 15-16).
In stark contrast to believers who drink from the fountain of eternal life, will be those who disregard the holiness of God and His sacred people. Those nations who attempt to conquer will see their schemes turned back against them. These will only drink water that leads to oblivion.
- What does the day of the Lord refer to? Why is it near?
- Why does God speak of a holy hill? Could this be Mount Zion in Jerusalem?
- What happens to people who do not honor God’s design?